Please also visit our PPN sponsor:
So many great photography-related questions were sent to PPN this year and Marco picks some of the best questions as a roundup to get you motivated and inspired for your photography projects in 2020.
This episode is sponsored by:
Marco Larousse Street Photography Workshops:
Skylum Luminar 4 - Supercharge your image editing and organizing
Here are the questions that Marco answers in this episode:
1. Hi Marco, I have been listening to Scott and you for many years on different podcasts. But I love how you run and structure PPN. This has become my favorite podcast channel. As a listener for many years, you now have finally convinced me to start a photo project for 2019. But now I’m sitting here all excited but without an idea what kind of topic to choose. Can you help me with some advice on how I can come up with a good personal photo project? I’m an avid amateur photographer but do have some free time for photo projects. Thanks for all the hard work and great shows!
Question from: Willem, Rotterdam, Netherlands
Link to Marco’s “Hamburg Unstaged 2017” street photography project on YouTube: https://youtu.be/qo2YUDUgV5I
2. Hi Marco, You have mentioned in the past that photographers should not work for free because images have value and there is quite a high direct cost involved with photography (like camera, lens, training, storage, software, computer, etc.). But would you consider to work for free for a charitable non-profit organization? I have been approached by a local organization and would like to hear your opinion if I should make an exception here? Love the shows! Regards, Soeren
Question from: Soeren, Stockholm, Sweden
3. Hi Marco, I have been shooting my first events and weddings this year. I shoot in color and often with a flash. Most of the time the color and white balance on the subject is pretty spot on, but the background with artificial room light is sometimes completely off and looks distracting. How can I get more consistent results throughout the frame?
Question from: Helen, Portland, Oregon
Gear and apps discussed in this question:
Rogue Gels Filter Kit (Set of 20):
Amazon Germany: https://amzn.to/2T5A5bs
MagMod Professional Flash Kit:
Amazon Germany: https://amzn.to/2MF2unx
App with info for Gel Color Filters:
Lee Swatch for iPhone: http://itunes.apple.com/app/id882232668
Lee Swatch for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leefilters.com
4. Hey Marco, just a quick general question: Would you prefer one camera with either a zoom lens or with two prime lenses?
Question from: Marcel, Vienna, Austria
5. Hello Marco, I have a gear and marketing related question for you. I am working part-time as an event and wedding photographer. On my jobs, I use a Fuji X-T2 and a Fuji X-Pro 2 with prime lenses. My clients are always satisfied with the results that I deliver. But especially at weddings I often see guests with much bigger and more expensive DSLR cameras taking pictures as well. And sometimes I get asked if I plan on upgrading to a pro camera any time, soon - or similar questions. I know that my images are good, but do you think that it would help to upgrade to a larger kit in order to look more professional and maybe charge more money for my jobs in the future?
Question from: Steve, Hong Kong
Gear discussed in this question:
Battery grips for Fuji:
Amazon Germany: https://amzn.to/2RNOK92
Battery grips for Olympus:
Amazon Germany: https://amzn.to/2Gc89yV
Battery grips for Panasonic:
Amazon Germany: https://amzn.to/2RIKrf9
Battery grips for Sony:
Amazon Germany: https://amzn.to/2UGO3ju
Battery grips for Canon:
Amazon Germany: https://amzn.to/2TAacjj
Battery grips for Nikon:
Amazon Germany: https://amzn.to/2DbFoOY
6. I’m having a hard time judging the true color of my printed photos. I have a calibrated LCD monitor and a calibrated ICC workflow. The images come out in my studio the way I want, but when I bring them to hang at a customer’s house or display them at a coffee shop, they often have a different color tint. How can I avoid this?
Question from: Matthew, Ontario, Canada
Gear discussed in this question:
Philips Hue White Ambiance LED Light Starter Kit
Amazon Germany: https://amzn.to/2qKhrvU
7. Hi Marco, 2019 is the year I want to seriously improve my photography. I do have some basic skills but somehow my photos are boring and I don’t get a lot of encouraging comments or likes for them. I do enjoy the inspiration on the PPN shows, but can you give me some extra homework or inspiration to live and breathe photography in 2019? Thanks!
Question from: Julia, Oakland, California
8. Hola Marco, I am really inspired by the inspirational photographers that you have interviewed and introduced at PPN. I have looked at many of their images and this has challenged me to take an iconic photo one day. I am an avid amateur and know how to take good photos. Some of my images have been printed in a local newspaper already. I know that this is not an easy question to answer, but what can I do to achieve my dream one day?
Question from: Juan, Madrid, Spain
Please support our show by using our B&H affiliate link (click here) or Amazon Germany link (click here) that will not cost you a penny more than when you are buying at B&H or Amazon without our link.
Check out the Skylum LUMINAR 4 software:
Link: http://bit.ly/PPN-Luminar3 (use the discount code “PHOTOPODCASTS” at checkout for extra savings)
And please share this podcast with your friends and subscribe via Apple podcasts, Google Podcasts, or search for “PPN” in your favorite podcast app. We would also love to get your feedback. Is there anything that you want us to cover on the show in the future? And we would appreciate if you could take a short moment to rate or post a quick review for our shows on iTunes.
Links to Marco Larousse:
Links to PPN:
Web: www.PhotoPodcasts.com or PPN.fm
Apple Podcasts: http://bit.ly/ppn-apple-podcasts
Google Podcasts: http://bit.ly/PPN-GooglePodcast
Marco Larousse is a journalist and fine art, street and documentary photographer, educator, speaker, and podcast producer of photography related topics - MarcoLarousse.com. Marco has a background in photography of 30+ years.
PPN - Photo Podcast Network - Your weekly source of photography inspiration, education, information, and entertainment. We cover it all in 4 shows per month: PPN - Camera and Inspiration, Photography and Gear, We Shoot Mirrorless, and Q&A.
Copyright 2017 - 2019 - All Rights Reserved